Monday, January 10, 2011

Farming - What it is, and Why I Stay Away

I'm a man of efficiency, especially when my time is limited.  I like to log on, do my dailies, do my heroic, and then make gold - in that order.  I have found that instead of running laps around Stormwind while waiting for my heroic queue to pop, I log on, hop in queue, do my dailies, and by the time I'm done with those, the queue pops up.

Farming is what a lot of people do to make gold, but for the life of me I can't fathom why.  You farm for an hour, basically running around in circles, to obtain, let's say, Elementium Ore.

The ore is currently going for roughly 90g per stack on my realm.  How much ore can you gather in an hour?  6 stacks (120 ores)?  6*90 = 540g per hour.  That's a little low by Cataclysm standards.

Don't get me wrong, farming has its place, and I'm glad that people do farm.  Playing on a low population server means that I won't usually have huge sale days, so I could compound that with farming.  BUT, if you had 2 hours to play the game, what would you rather do?  Farm for 2 hours, making 1080g, or do some dailies, get some reputation up, run a heroic, and STILL make 2,000g on the Auction House?

To each their own, but I don't think I'll be picking up my stereotypical pitchfork and put on my jean overalls anytime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment